Civil Rights

Civil Rights Complaint Procedure

In cases where a person feels they have been discriminated against or their civil rights have been violated on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or another status protected under law; he or she should contact their immediate supervisor or the Administrative Services Director to resolve their concerns. If this process proves unsatisfactory, complainant may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office for Civil Rights.

How to File a Civil Rights Complaint

To file a Civil Rights complaint, go to the Office for Civil Rights website at, download and complete the Complaint Verification Form (CVF) and the Identity Release Statement (IRS) and return both forms to the Office for Civil Rights at the following address:
Office for Civil Rights
Office of Justice Programs
U.S. Department of Justice
810 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20531
If you believe you have been the target of discrimination, you should file a complaint with OCR as soon as possible. In most circumstances, you may have no longer than one year from the date of the discriminatory incident to file a complaint.